Monday, April 15, 2013

Independence is Daily

We are one step closer to independence for Skidamirink! Part of me is sad by this, as I always want her to be my little girl, who needs me for everything, who sees me as all-knowing and "super smart".
On the other hand, I know how important it is to foster and encourage independence. We are no strangers to it, as I have been doing it almost from the beginning with her. So what's the latest development?

Baby Girl, at 4 years old, as for the past week successfully gotten herself up, dressed, and ready to go without me having to beg, plead, or yell! The change you wonder? A sense of independence. Last week we were at Target, lost in the sea of "good deals" when we came across none other than a PRINCESS alarm clock! Skidamirink says to me "mom, I need a clock" to which I reminded her that she cannot tell time. Her response? "Well I could learn if I had a clock!" Yes...yes my dear, you could.

So considering it was on clearance, we bought it for her. She was so very excited to try it out. That night we test ran it so that she would know how it would sound and what she needed to do to turn it off. With that, despite one Mom related snafu the first day, she has been getting up to the "beep-beep" every day.


To say that this has been helpful would be a gross understatement. We laid out the expectations of this new alarm clock, and what buying it would mean, and she has delivered better than I ever could have hoped. She is so proud to wake up on her own and  get herself ready for the day. She tells daycare about, people at church, and anyone else who will listen.


To see her beam with self-accomplishment warms my heart. I am proud that she is realizing her potential as age appropriate situations arise, and I pray that My Love and I are always able to recognize when she is ready, and encourage her if she ever has any doubts about her own abilities.


What else could my 4 year old be ready for?
What do you allow your children to do alone at this age?


Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment